Sleek Magazine #51
SLEEK 51 celebrates this sensation of change with an issue dedicated to the creative minds rebelling against society’s preconceptions regarding fashion and art. Cover star FATIMA AL QADIRI is a prime example of this spirit, as an artist and musician whose visionary works defy both genre and geographical boundary. “Comic Expressions” is a continuation of this theme, as Will Furtado analyses humour’s role in redefining artistic norms. Following this pattern is an examination on the changing face of print by Osman Ahmed and Ida Bencke, while our fashion editorial shot on-location in Iceland displays this season’s newest designs amidst an ever-changing landscape.
– For this issue’s “Ones to Watch”, we speak with video artists MARY REID KELLEY and PATRICK KELLEY, mixed media photographer FELICITY HAMMOND and menswear designer ALEX MULLINS
– Outgoing Central Saint Martins Head of Fashion WILLIE WALTERS shares her secrets behind inspiring generations of design rebels
– Artist KERSTIN BRÄTSCH converses with fellow painter Henning Strassburger about the state of painting today
– An exclusive science fiction short story entitled “The Ocean; We” by writer REDFERN JON BARRETT
– Doha-based photo artists CHRISTTO & ANDREW share a never-before-seen photo series on sports culture in Qatar
– New York-based fashion designer Ryohei Kawanishi explains how his collection is inspired by French Modernism as well as current political affairs